Part of this whole “A Dalek Year” project is to force myself into trying new things. I decided to give a new mix a try. 2 parts plaster of paris and 1 part spackle paste. I tested it out on a panel of the skirt to see how it will work.
I decided to work on finishing the skirt before continuing the shoulders.
Well, the clay dried (there was one crack because of shrinkage) but overall it looks like I should be able to create a model seal for casting. Since this was just an experiment it was sloppy. Next step is to make an nice even one.
I’m still not 100% sure what I am going to do for the seals that fit around the hemis. This is a little experiment that I am doing with some clay to see if I can fashion it that way and then maybe cast a mold and then mass produce them. Really looking for the cross section of easy and affordable.
… and the other side
Working on sizing the one shoulder band side…
The shoulders are going to prove to be tough. The band that starts at the skirt is a few cm wider than the skirt, 9 cm tall, and curves a bit wibbly-wobbly around. I spending a bit of time just brainstorming a way I can build it. What you see below is the start of a skeleton that I hope will be the first shoulder band.